Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Museum

The next day I decided to see the little local museum of archaeology, containing a mix of Roman finds and local furnishings from the 1700s. The museum itself was tucked away on a pretty little side street.

It was also opposite one of the oldest remaining buildings in all of Montpellier, dating from the 1200s. 

The Roman section was surprisingly good, although nothing compared to the museums in Rome. What I enjoyed the most was the setting of the museum itself, in a villa from the 1700s. It was also quite fun as there were none of the usual clear signposts or guards, I wandered and got lost more then once. I also realized at the end that I wasn't supposed to have taken any photos, but of course by then it was too late. Oops!


This face was one of my favourite pieces, although I couldn't tell you why.
\

A small but interesting section on medieval carvings



The inner courtyard of the beautiful building.

Lastly, I came to the oldest and coolest part of the building, where it had been kept (or most likely restored) in original condition. The chandelier was spectacular, though the numerous large cracks in the ceiling were somewhat terrifying. 


A beautiful autumn day greeted me as I left the museum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment