Friday, December 5, 2014

Archaeology museum Lattes

The next day I decided to take the tram out of Montpellier and to the nearby town of Lattes, once called Lattara if I remember correctly. It was a Roman settlement and as such had some interesting ruins and artifacts. The archaeological museum was excellent, and only cost two euros! 


The first floor comprised of prehistoric remains from the surrounding region which were really cool. Many came from the numerous grottes (caves) of the region.

The next floor was all Roman and had some interesting pieces even if I did spend half the time avoiding large groups of rabid school children.

One of my favourite things was this collection of amphorae from a Roman shipwreck.

The view out the window of the second story of the museum was excellent and showed the old riverbank and central Roman settlement ruins.

 On the way back to the tram I chanced across these ruins as well which I enjoyed. Imagine stumbling across Roman ruins in the middle of a town! Still a novelty I have yet to get used to. The well in the center caught my eye.

A posthole! Archaeology has made me love postholes.

No comments:

Post a Comment