Thursday, December 18, 2014

First Day in England

The long train to London to Montpellier took most of the day. It was however comfortable and cheap which were bonuses. Getting through customs at our transfer in Lille however was not so fun, ticket check in, two separate passport checks and then baggage examination and through the metal detector I went - It was worse than an airport!
Finally however I was on my way, seated awkwardly in a compartment of thirty odd ten year old school children. I was of course the non school child there. Funnily enough though I ended up talking to one of the kids most of the way to London, he very solemnly pointed out landmarks as we passed them and was highly entertaining. 

We neared London just as the sun was setting, my overarching impression of England was therefore very different from the green fields and vineyards of France; here I was greeted by what looked like the bright fires of Industry.

Once in London itself I was meant to be meeting Tash at St. Pancras station but of course we hadn't thought about the fact that there were numerous entrances. Consequently we completely missed each other. I eventually made my way to the hostel (only getting lost twice on the way) to wait for her there. Half an hour later Tash turned up. We did exceedingly well considering the Hostel was across the road from the train station. Oh well. 

We decided to treat ourselves after such stress. Considering the Hostel was flanked on both sides by pubs, we were spoilt for choice. We decided on O'Neills, and it was a rather nice place. 

We finished the night up with an overload of chocolate cake and silly photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment