Saturday, June 20, 2015

Day Three Food from around the World: England


On Sunday we decided to go with a traditional English roast, and made roast potatoes and kumera, a roast pork, and Yorkshire puddings and gravy. 

I got to try crackling and decided I loved it! We also decided to change up the recipe last minute. I was thinking of how to keep the roast from drying out, then I thought about apples and how well apples go with pork, so logically my next thought was 'what if we dump a bottle of cider into the pork roast dish and cook it in cider?' and it worked beautifully! Not to mention the resulting gravy tasted delicious! 

Joy made Yorkshire puddings as well, which was also a first for me. The process is so interesting! You pop oil into muffin tins and then stick it in the oven until the oil is smoking, then dump the dough in and chuck it back in the oven, and then out pop these hollow monsters that you then fill with gravy! All very interesting. 

It was a day of firsts for me, Joy also made Rice pudding which I tried for the first time. I really couldn't get my head around eating custardy rice, the texture was so bizarre but weirdly enough the flavor was actually nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment