Saturday, August 9, 2014

Herculaneum

We began the next day with our trip to Herculaneum. We navigated the train (somehow) and made our way to the city of 'Erculano' where we then walked down to the ancient excavation. 

It was a beautiful day and sweltering hot; for the first time I found myself disagreeing with the Lonely Planet Guide that described the town as 'uninspiring' while personally I found it more pleasant than Naples. 


The locals were friendly and happy to tell us where to go, additionally the town itself was very pretty. Herculaneum itself was beautiful, if very hot.




Unlike Pompeii it was covered by a Lahar and so was perfectly preserved, I'm talking cloth and uncooked loaves sitting in the bakery still waiting to go in the oven.



 Perfectly preserved cisterns and frescoes on the wall as well as preserved second floors were the highlights for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment