Monday, August 18, 2014

Delphi




Delphi was not what I expected. It reminded me of Naples, not safe to walk at night, not clean, not nice. The place we stayed was night, the cobblestone streets were cute, and by day it was quite pretty but even then it had a seedy feel to it. 

The ancient site itself was pretty cool, though full of tourists and most things were cordoned off.


The view from our hotel in Delphi. The mountains were beautiful. 


Sunset.


The main temple


The treasury of Athens, the most well preserved and richest of the treasuries which makes sense I suppose.


Shyla!
 It's interesting that the white parts of the pillar are actually original and the darker parts are not, pristine and beautifully white, very different from the gaudy colours they would have once been painted.



The midday sun blazing above us, the car kindly informed us it was 47 degrees. 


Drama, fitting in a theatre I thought! 


Quintessentially Delphi. 


From here we meandered to the lovely air conditioned museum which contained treasures from the site.


I very much enjoyed these kouroi (plural male statues) as they are the earliest ever found and who they are exactly is subject to debate. They reminded me of early Egyptian statuary. 


Stranger remains of creepy wooden toes.

A boy with beautiful hair 


The charioteer, like many things I've already seen, this too I studied at university (oh Greek art and archtiecutre paper I will never forget you) and made it even cooler to see.

A fast exit was made when a kid power chucked on the museum floor, however the museum itself I did enjoy.


We then tried the traditional dessert of baklava for lunch. So yum but so very sweet.


No comments:

Post a Comment