Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The next week

I spent the next week gardening and doing all sorts of little odd jobs to pass the time. I was very proud of my cleaning of the patio which resulted in a nice place to eat breakfast in the morning. (Imagine the tiles completely filled with knee high weeds) 



On Thursday it was market day so I got to go to the market in Villefranche De Rouergue, and also the Grotte de Foissac which was very cool but very creepy. 
There was a small museum on site of the cave and since photos within the cave were prohibited (sadly) I took a few of the artefacts in the museum.

These reminded me very much of some of the things we dug up in Gabii.

Fragments of human skull

And my personal favourite, the skeleton of a cave lion.

The cave itself was massive, tunnels wended their way in different directions, an underground stream ran through the middle and stalagmites and stalactites gleamed eerily, accompanied by a steady dripping sound from all the moisture in the cave. 
The tour was entirely in french so I found it a bit boring, but I enjoyed simply looking around and taking in the sites. Pottery was strewn about the cave as well as human burials of which there were quite a few. All in all it was very enjoyable, and the day wasn't even over yet! 

On our way back we stopped at a tiny village which was completely deserted and utterly picturesque. 

It was a bit of a walk to the villages main attraction but we passed many cool things along the way, including this original well with the bucket system replicating the original that was once there.

Walking further down the ruined road we passed many houses that would have once made up the much larger medieval village than what exists now.


Ruined walls.


Two ruined gaurd towers atop a cliff with a beautiful view across the landscape. Stunning.

The rickety ladder leading all the way up, no fee, no gaurd, no safety barriers. It was AWESOME. 

The tower from the top (of course I climbed up how could I resist!) 

Other ruins hidden in the forest but visable from above.

A cute little carving on the side of the road on our way home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment