Friday, July 25, 2014

The Vatican

The Vatican was absolutely fantastic. Without a doubt my favorite thing I have seen so far. Taking a night visit was a stroke of genius as it set a fantastic atmosphere and was also much quieter than during the day.

We arrived just as the sky was turning pink, allowing us some outside photos before venturing within. A giant pine cone (don't ask me why) instantly drew the eye.



Additionally some Egyptian lions proved to be my favorite thing in the courtyard. Liz was able to translate the hieroglyphs for us which was pretty fantastic.


We then entered into the Egyptian part of the museum which was one of my favorite parts. Fine tablets and huge statues greeted us on our way in.


My favorite however was the mummy. It was the first one I've seen in real life and it didn't disappoint. For some reason I liked the feet especially. My friends thought I was very strange for how much I wanted to touch it, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I can't wait for the other great museums I will see in Europe and the mummy's I hope to see!

What I couldn't believe was how many of the artifacts were made out of wood! I suppose I am just used to the Roman context where nothing survives, but it just boggled my mind how well preserved everything was. Very cool. One of my favorite things made of wood was this depiction of a man.


The paintings on the ceilings was the other thing that stood out to me. The number of beautiful rooms was endless and torturous as towards  the end we were forced to rush through so we weren't kicked out with closing time and to see the Sistine chapel before we left. We had three hours to see the Vatican and we were rushing. To be safe next time I would give myself five. However the rushing was worth it for the night visit. 

Although I enjoyed the Sistine chapel it was incredibly packed and hot and I found I rather preferred the many rooms we had wandered through. The thing about the ceilings was that no matter how molded they looked, they were painted.

This was painted. I couldn't quite believe it. 


We saw many more cool things which caught my eye. Only some of which I photographed, including the famous:

                                                 
The Awesome:



And the downright random but cool. The handle is made into a vine how sweet is that!?



Some more amazing roof paintings:





No comments:

Post a Comment