Saturday, March 12, 2016

One Adventure Ends and another Begins

Before I knew it our whirlwind trip of Italy was over (for me at least) as really it had only been a few days detour to our top places before dropping me in the airport in Rome. Although it hadn't been a long trip, it was beyond worth it. From eating pastries on the Amalfi coast to drinking chilled Prosecco in campsites (our last night camping was an epic evening of Prosecco and pancakes) to being able to finally cross Pompeii off my bucket-list (and having it made all the better by sharing those experiences with my intrepid travel companions) I will never forget my three months road trip with my family. 
On my last morning camping I said goodbye to my trusty little tent (pictured here) and gave it away, on to new adventures with new owners. I wonder where it is now?
My last night in Italy was spent in Rome, and I couldn't believe how fast the time had flown. It was odd being back in the same place where I had begun my travels in Europe the year before with my dig. And here I was on the same bridge watching the sun set over Rome, the Eternal city. There's something nice about knowing that even if you have changed, it feels like the city has not. We even visited my old neighbourhood Trastevere and bought gelato (we had gelato so much that day I thought I might die) before finishing off the night with a restaurant my fellow travelers Yannick and Necia had been to before. The pizza was potentially the best I've ever had (aside from Naples of course) and it was the perfect end to a brilliant adventure.

Of course, the adventure wasn't over for any of us, we were simply parting ways and heading on different paths, my family continuing to explore Italy, whilst I made a short stop in England to see my friend before heading off to my next adventure in France - but more on that later. Having my friend Joy put me up in England and even offer to keep some of my luggage for me to lighten my load was beyond helpful, and I had a lovely time in the UK. After so much travelling it was brilliant just to relax, and as such I have little to blog about my time there. One notable event was that it was Joy's partners birthday whilst I was staying with them so between us we made him the most epic cake I've ever made it my life (and it tasted just as good as it looks) did I mention it had four layers of chocolatey goodness too?

A typically English birthday, we went out to the pub to celebrate, allowing me to meet their group of friend's which was good fun. (Look at all those pasty white English people!)


The other highlight of my short visit (aside from seeing Joy of course) was getting to see her son again. Look how much Harvey has grown since last time! I'm not usually a person who likes being around children very much, but Harvey was not only adorable but just beginning to giggle and and smile, and he was super fun to be around (why is it so rewarding getting a baby to laugh at you?)  Before I knew it, I was heading off to the unknown, destination France. 

No comments:

Post a Comment