Monday, March 21, 2016

Chamonix trip

My friends worked most weekends (the good old au pair jobs, thank god I'm out of that!) however we had a rare weekend where we were all free and decided we should go for a little trip somewhere. We discussed going to Paris that Friday morning, but ultimately I convinced them it was too expensive and we should go somewhere else having such a short amount of time. A note here because it was later that night that this occurred and I would feel remiss not mentioning it. That night (the night we could have ourselves been in Paris) the Paris attacks of November 13 occurred - a coordinated set of terrorist attacks which killed 130 people. There's not much I can say about it apart from the obvious, it was awful, and sad, and horrible as well as shocking.
In light of these attacks and the borders closing, we dismissed our initial Genevre plan and decided to simply take a day trip to the nearby town of Chamonix. A ski resort town, the views were meant to be beautiful, that was all I really knew about the town, but really that's about all there is to it.
One of the oldest ski resorts in France, it lies on the north summit of Mont Blanc and it certainly had beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. This of course comes with a price tag, and I shudder to think of the cost of a night staying here. Even these pretty pastries had a higher price tag than I was used to!
It was a lot colder here than Annecy, but also a beautiful sunny autumn day, so we enjoyed our wandering, warmly dressed and admiring the alpine architecture. We picnicked in a nearby park, making the trip a rather cheap one.
My good friends Emily and Jennifer, who made the trip and indeed my stay in Annecy that much better. 
My last view of Chamonix as we headed back to the car, the sun glinting of this man-made crane which although massive, was dwarfed by the snow-capped mountains surrounding us.

No comments:

Post a Comment