Friday, May 29, 2015

More Sightseeing in Valencia

My next weekend of note was when I took a Saturday to go off exploring again, with one of my students who I had made friends with. Nuria was really nice, and she knew all the places to go! Nothing like local knowledge, plus I got to learn abstract Spanish words along the way, like 'roof' (techo if you were wondering).
We went and looked at some more important buildings in Valencia, and admired the architecture.
 

The photo on the left shows the typical type of architecture of central Valencia. It reminded me a little of Montpellier. On the right is one of those stereotypical European photos that I couldn't resist, old architecture in the background, and a moped sitting in front. The best part is  that just opposite this is the bar us English teachers frequented (only 5 minutes walk from the school, on the way home and only a euro a beer, how could we resist!)
 

One of the best things about Valencia is that while yes- it is a city and everyone lives in apartments with no gardens - there are little parks dotted around the city, just in case the giant ex-river Turia turned massive park cutting the city in two isn't enough for you. They are  usually quiet and away from the hustle and bustle of the city, but still central so it was like stepping into a haven. Orange trees and fountains usually feature, and they are a lovely refuge from the heat.
 

My stereotypical European photo of coffee- but man is it good coffee!  Usually only about a euro, it has the perfect combination of milk and coffee. Normal sized coffees are always too milky for me, and just black coffee is too bitter; the Spanish 'cafe con leche' - a coffee shot with a little milk poured in- is just perfect. 
On the right you can see the nice shirt I bought for myself - it was only ten euro! How could I resist?

Plaza Del Reina, 2 minutes walk from the Acadamy I worked at.

The view from the top of the tower

One of my favourite places was the Longa de la Seda (the Silk exchange) built in the 15th C when Valencia was at the height of its commerce and trade.
 

The area the market was held in for trade. Beautiful pillars and a gorgeous marble floor made this huge room spectacular. 

Upon entering through the gates, you had to go though a beautiful stone courtyard of fountains and orange trees to reach the trade center.

After a tiring but enjoyable day, we stopped for tapas, to rest our legs and feed our hungry stomachs. I love tapas because you get to try such an array of things. We had patatas bravas (cubes of potato in a slightly spicy tomato sauce) .
Also another dish of potatoes with jamon and fried eggs (left), and bread with a delicious tomato herb spread and drizzled in honey (right). Sounds strange but was actually perfectly delicious! We washed it down with Spain's ubiquitous cerveza - beer!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment