Sunday, May 31, 2015

Coffee, Roman remains and Burning Buildings

During my time in Valencia we celebrated a fair few teachers birthdays, and had house parties in our flats. Here is one such gathering of teachers!

Emma and I wanted to try the local drinks, one of my favourite discoveries was condensed milk. A Cafe Bombon as it turns out is in fact a cold coffee shot, a glass with ice, and a sachet of condensed milk. Heaven on a hot day.

In the photo on the left you can see the coffee and condensed milk on the bottom before I stirred it. Yum! 
On the right is an extremely viscous hot chocolate, although it tasted rather nice it was very rich and I felt quite sick afterwards.

I then visited the very foundations of Valencia, sunk deep into the earth were the old Roman baths, their foundations laid bare for us to see. A couple of human skeletons made the place all the more interesting.

Additionally the well (left) was very deep and well made, but it was the pit (right) which caught my attention. Dug beneath a Roman road, it was apparently part of a ritual, an offering pit where coins and other items were thrown in and then it was deliberately filled, perhaps to bring the site good luck or strength.

This coinage hoard found hidden and buried also struck me. Overall it was a small but interesting museum. And it was free on Sunday!

Just a normal day at work, when the building opposite you is burning down and your students start to flee in panic...but were we allowed to stop teaching? Never!
The next weekend Jess (my roommate) and I went for an awesome lunch. Spanish restaurants often have a menu del dia 'menu of the day' which is a set price menu which is usually a three course meal for a cheap price (in this case ten Euros) with a couple of choices for each course, entree, main and dessert. And a drink too!

We started with a delicious fresh salad, rather Italian in style. Fresh tomatoes and thick slices of mozzarella drizzled in a rather delicious and sharp vinaigrette. There was also the option of lasagna if we had wanted. We washed it down with lemon Fanta which is in fact rather tangy and nice - like lemonade but more lemony.

Our main was this delicious gourmet burger. There was also the option of chicken breast with grilled bacon and brie - some of the other customers had it and it looked mouthwatering. Our own choice was however one of the nicest burgers I've ever had (although not quite so good as Jamie Oliver's burger that I shall never forget.)

And for dessert, Jess had a chocolate torte with dark chocolate so rich I would have died, and I had a delicious meringue and caramel tart. The caramel was gooey and amazing, the meringue like a cloud. Perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment