Monday, August 30, 2021

2019: Graduation and Scotland Adventures Part I

 January 2019

Although a rather lackluster beginning to the year, I was excited to be heading to Sheffield on the ninth of January to graduate for my Masters. Of my two best friends I made studying, one of them was coming back for graduation from America. Whilst not the whole gang (and we missed Janae dearly) having Jenessa and her husband Darryl back was extremely exciting. Jenessa's best friend Sarah was also coming along for the ride, and together we made up an awesome little gang of our own. 


Graduation day was unfortunately hectic, with so many things to get to and trying to take photos, we didn't have time to pause and it felt quite stressful. I know how I would do things differently if there was ever a next time at least!

Getting my gown was very exciting, though I was a bit annoyed for the cost we had to pick it up first thing in the morning and return it the same day by 5pm which felt a bit cheapskate on their part! Still photos with family made me glad to have the robes (which made me feel like Professor Snape.)

Dinner out and more photos later, it was done! I had walked across the stage without tripping, received my Masters of Science (one of the few with Distinction, I'm proud to say) and my time at Sheffield, was truly, officially over. 

It felt sad, but luckily we had some great plans to distract us. We were going on an epic trip to Scotland with the gang! Taking the train from Sheffield to Edinburgh the next day, the adventure began.
The view from our Airbnb felt quintessentially Scottish, and in true Scotland fashion, it was freezing. 
We wandered up the Royal Mile, enjoying being tourists outside Edinburgh Castle, though we were all too penny-pinching to go inside. All of us aside from Ben had been to Edinburgh before, so we didn't go too mad with the touristing, mainly wandering the old town.
I always enjoy a trip to Edinburgh, its a charming, compact city, filled with cosy-looking pubs and interesting history. We even wandered into the famous coffee shop 'The Elephant House' to buy an overpriced coffee and imagine J.K Rowling in the corner, writing up the world of Hogwarts. 
We also popped into Greyfriars Kirkyard, my favourite graveyard in Edinburgh. I had already been before, but it's always beautiful for a wander.
Called Greyfriars after the friary that once stood there, this was destroyed by reformers in the mid-16th century, and the space was turned into a graveyard. Many of the tombstones bear names that will be familiar to Harry Potter fans, including McGonagall and Thomas Riddell. What a brilliant place for character name inspiration!
One of my favourite streets in Edinburgh is the highly touristy, brightly coloured Victoria Street, full of interesting little shops. The street was built in the 19th century to provide better access in the old town, demolishing buildings on what was  - at that time - a narrow lane called West Bow. 
My favourite fact was recently it was discovered that part of a house belonging to a Major Weir - 'The Wizard of West Bow' who was executed for Witchcraft in 1670 - still exists, hidden from site in a Quaker meeting house. 
It's a terrible photo, because the light was so dim, but hopefully this photo gives an idea of the cosyness of this little pub, with its warm fire. 
We also tried haggis bon bons - deep fried balls of haggis with dipping sauce which were surprisingly delicious.
Next stop with the gang, Stirling!

No comments:

Post a Comment