Monday, September 14, 2020

June: Cheese and a Ball

June 2018 

Although we were working hard on thesis research, classes were out (and undergraduates were on holiday the lucky bastards). We felt a sense of that holiday feeling, which was helped along by the Archaeology Ball!

To nobody's surprise I'm sure, I took Ben along with me as my plus one. It was fun getting dressed up together, taking photos, and forgetting about research for the night. It was rather low-key however, and by 9pm most people were drifting out. Still, it was a fun experience and I didn't regret going at all.

My friends all went away over June on mini European holidays to make the most of the sun. Ben and I were feeling rather poor, however so kept things a little more small scale. We decided to treat ourselves to a weekend away somewhere close by (see my next post) and an epic cheese tasting in Sheffield. 


I found the event quite by chance on Facebook, and at 25 pounds a head, it felt reasonable, though on the pricier end. We had no idea what to expect, so had a light dinner first (this would prove to be a mistake!) before walking down to the local neighbourhood of Kelham island.
 First we were treated to a warm welcome, and then given a tour of the cheese making process. Aside from having to wear silly-looking gear to keep things hygienic, the tour was extremely interesting. I couldn't wait for the tasting!

We were absolutely blown away by the portions! The first course involved a whole baked brie EACH!! Paired with a beautiful Rosé. 
Unlimited bread, crackers, and seven courses of cheese (each paired with a different wine) we could barely roll ourselves out of there! 
Each course was accompanied by an interesting description from our host on both the cheese and the wine, and we left feeling like we would we have paid double the price for such an amazing and generously portioned 'tasting', our only regret was not being able to book again!

No comments:

Post a Comment