Monday, August 24, 2020

Further Day Trips and Foody Adventures

Spring 2018

Continuing in the theme of day trips, a group of us popped to Liverpool for the day, famous for the Beatles and of course, Football, I was actually rather disappointed in the city. Aside from a few cool looking pubs and a rather dull museum where the only interesting part was the Beatles postcards in the gift shop, there didn't seem to be all that much to do or see.

In fact my favourite part of the city was the waterfront with this grand building, but that was sort of...it. We felt done with our day trip far earlier than planned, and to be honest it's not somewhere I would return to without a good reason.

Luckily Sheffield itself had its own places and events to keep us entertained, starting with a food festival in the main square.

I was finally able to try Canadian Poutine to my great joy! French fries topped with cheese curds and gravy, it sounds weird, tastes incredible. Just to be more interesting, we got the pulled pork version. We also tried kangaroo burgers which were surprisingly excellent.

I had, by now, discovered one of my favourite pubs in the city, The Frog and Parrot, where we wiled away many a time after class, playing cards and keeping out of the cold.

Our next visit of note was Nottingham house, affectionately called Notty house by all students of Sheffield, this place for me happily takes top place for best pie in the UK. 
Pie is the only item on their menu, which is written on a blackboard above the bar counter, and crossed out as they run out (which happens fast).
 They have everything from vegetarian feta and spinach to chicken and wild mushroom, to beef and ale (the best in my humble opinion). Better yet, each plate comes with a huge dollop of creamy mash, mushy peas (which promptly end up on Ben's plate, I'm not that nativised thank you very much) and a beautiful gravy boat. 
Wash it down with a pint whilst playing scrabble or one of their other many board games in their booths, and you have yourselves the perfect Sunday. Yeah, I really like this pub!

Last, but very much not least, Proove. The best Italian restaurant in Sheffield, their pizza is among the best I've ever had, and reasonably priced too! I only discovered this place because half my faculty were Italian, so of course they loved this place. You know its good with your professor from Naples swears by it! I was most impressed by the five pound starter of garlic bread, which I assumed would be a couple of pieces of garlic bread on a plate, and turned out to be an entire cheesy garlic pizza. Yessss.


And of course, a beautiful margarita for the main. We had to roll ourselves out of there!

Other recommendations for Sheffield include: Bungalows and Bears for a drink, the University Arms for pub quiz, The Red Deer for a proper English Pub experience (though your guaranteed to run into the archaeology department as most of the faculty seem to semi-live here)!
Tamper Coffee for the best coffee in the city (Plus they're an NZ cafe!) The Grind Cafe for a decent coffee or a chill Sunday breakfast, The Depot Bakery for the best bread and baked goods, Humpit for ridiculously delicious stuffed vegan pitas,  and the Moor Market for fresh produce.
 I'm sure there's many others, but one can only try so much on a student's budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment