Thursday, November 9, 2017

Workaway Part II: Visiting the surrounding countryside

April 2017

On the rare occasion that we had some hours off (which often occurred on Sundays) we would sometimes spend a few hours visiting their many friends in the region. I really loved these times as it gave me a glimpse into the culture and everyday lives of these people, and also took me to new places I would never otherwise see!
One of my first experiences with this was at a nearby little town where we stumbled across medieval tunnels! There was almost no signposting, and we could only go so far in before the ground turned very wet, where we then realized we didn't have the correct tools for continuing. One day I would love to return with the proper footwear and lanterns.
Early one morning the car needed to be serviced in Pau, so I jumped at the offer to come along and see a new town. We were up at sunrise, affording me an absolutely stunning view from the chateau, before setting off. I was dropped off in the town while the work on the car was done, allowing me to wander at will - just the way I liked it!
Pau was an old city with a small medieval centre and beautiful views across the Pyrenees and a long boulevard from which to enjoy the panorama. 
The town itself was established in the 12th century and grew out from the castle which was built for its strategic location for fording the river into Spain. This area would have been occupied far longer, however the material archaeology only dates back to this time. 
Today, it is a pleasant and bustling town that makes a very pleasant day trip of getting lost down the backstreets (the chateau is by guided tour only, so I didn't bother). 

On another of our little trips, we went to meet some Spanish friends of my hosts, who owned their own Chambre D'hote in the nearby mountains. It was fantastic to get to see the alpine landscape up close, and see the beautiful scenery that this area of France is known for.


The weather in the mountains was far more changeable than I was used to, and although at the start of our drive it was beautiful, by the time we had arrived a storm (and torrential rain) was well on its way. 

This only served to make the scenery even more dramatic however, and our coffee inside all the more cosy. 
Our last trip of note was to a Dutch couples house, who were firm friends with my hosts. They lived in a renovated watermill, with the river rushing right past (and under) their house, creating a stunning view!

No comments:

Post a Comment