Friday, July 14, 2017

New Zealand Part IV: Parties and Palmerston North

Returning from my camping trip, it felt strange to settle into New Zealand life, knowing it was so short-term. I tried to see as many friends as possible, and not count down the days I saw so quickly slipping away. I took the opportunity to spend a lot of time with two of my very close friends, Shyla and Ben. 
My big event for January aside from seeing family and friends, was helping my good friend Tash with the planning for her 24th birthday. I had missed her 22nd and 23rd, so it was really lovely to be there for this one. She had organised a country theme, which turned rather Western in our decorations, including hay bales!

Unfortunately the weather refused to behave and turned rather stormy, so we made the executive decision to pitch the tent, just in case. And thank goodness we did as we would find ourselves all huddling inside later in the night, as the rain poured down. It didn't matter too much as we all enjoyed the good food, good company, and great costumes! (Even if my neck-tie did make me look more like a flight attendant than a cowboy). 
I had organised to go down and see my old school friends Jo and Raiden in Palmerston North in the beginning of February, and before I knew it I was there!
Palmerston North has always had the label in NZ as a terrible hole (not unlike Hamilton) however the town itself is rather sweet, and as long as you had a good friend group I think it could be good fun (plus housing is very cheap).













I knew Jo and Raiden from school, and had always kept in touch even though we didn't see them often after they moved to Palmerston North for their studies. To go down and visit them was a fantastic opportunity! We had such an awesome week, the highlight being when Raiden and I spent the day making a Quidditch pitch entirely from scratch, and playing Beer Pong with it.

























Their adorable and giant cat Max was a permanent fixture in their home.








We took a day trip out to the beach - which was odd for me in itself, as I had spent most of my life living only 5 minutes from the beach. Palmerston North however, is firmly inland, leading us to visit the town of Foxton, both to enjoy the full-sized working Dutch windmill 'De Molen', and also take a walk along the wild west coast beaches.


No comments:

Post a Comment