Wednesday, June 21, 2017

A New Zealand Christmas

December 2016 

Heading off to New Zealand from the UK felt utterly surreal, even as I stepped on the plane I couldn't believe I was coming home after over two years away! 
My flight from London to Auckland was a long one (though short in terms of possible flight paths) with a stopover in Kuala Lumpur. It was nice to know I didn't have to worry about making my way home, with Shyla - one of my best friends - coming to pick me up at some stupid hour of the night!
Seeing Auckland again as I landed and we then drove through the city late at night was both achingly familiar and so very bizarre at the same time, I felt overwhelmed by the sense that I had finally come home to this beautiful, ugly city. 
I was staying at my dad's place, and organised with my brother Christophe for us both to go over to my mum's to lunch and give her the surprise of her life! It was the most satisfying surprise I've ever given.
Christmas was only around the corner and I was craving a proper one, as it would otherwise be my third christmas in a row without a real tree. Mum didn't take much convincing and we were soon on a mission to find a beautiful REAL tree! I am of the firm opinion that if one doesn't have a real tree (and most importantly that lovely christmas tree scent) it can't really be a real Christmas. I had the time of my life decorating the tree, and then staring at it all lit up in pure satisfaction. Thanks mum!
Christmas itself was lovely, spending it with my family felt awesome, though I missed the presence of Yannick and Necia. My brother and I enjoyed a pre-christmas walk at Shakespear park before heading for mum's house, as it was such a stunning summer day I was wishing I had brought my togs!
Mum made her traditional Christmas cake (yet another integral part of christmas that I had been missing) and I thoroughly enjoyed our pre-lunch Appletiser and salt and vinegar chips!
I was quite proud of my own Christmas cake attempt, creating a french 'Buche de Noel' which is meant to resemble a log. Dad and I were especially proud of our pine cones!
It felt so good to be back in NZ again, I had to indulge in a number of very kiwi things that I had been missing, including my favourite thing of all, Potato top pie! No-one does Pie like we do! (Note the all important Tui-mato sauce too). Until proven wrong, I can happily state that the best potato top pie comes from Little Manly bakery, where we have been going for as long as I can remember (and the shop owner remembers me too!). 

























My next port of call for a dose of nostalgia was off to New Zealand's only theme park, Rainbows End. Since I hadn't been here since my 19th birthday I was rather excited! My old school friend Ben had invited me along, and it was brilliant to catch up as we had been good friends for seven years by now, though a few of those had been by keeping in touch via the internet when I disappeared off overseas.
We had a fantastic day, spending lots of time on the rollercoaster (probably fairly tame for most, but exhilarating for me!)  Although a fairly small park when comparing to others in the world, I still think it's worth a visit if you're after a day of fun. And if you go in average weather, the lines are practically non-existent! #protip.

























Our favourite ride was the log flume, where we took turns sitting at the front and getting splashed by water and almost attacked by pirates (well, not really. But it might feel like it to a very small child).

I also spent a lot of time catching up with Shyla, and we tried to make the most of my time in NZ by doing lots of things, from beach walks and spontaneous swims to sleepovers and baking black forest cakes! 














Returning to all my favourite haunts was strange but fantastic. Fish and chips on my favourite beach (Matakatia) with friends was another of my highlights,  and sitting on the grass watching the sunset. Whangaparaoa (the area of NZ I'm from) is a brilliant place to go if you're interested in beaches, as it's full of them. From Shakespear park, Manly Beach (and Little Manly!) Tindalls, Matakatia, Stanmore Bay, Orewa Beach, there really is a beach for everyone, from small coves, to big walking beaches. I love New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment