Thursday, April 14, 2016

Christmas in Annecy

Before I knew it Christmas was approaching, the supermarkets full of champagne and Christmas cakes and foie gras. Missing my mum's traditional Christmas cake (it doesn't feel like Christmas without it!) I tried a mini Panettone from the supermarket to see how Italian Christmas cake compared. It was actually delicious and I would highly recommend it, although it still didn't feel like a real Christmas cake.
With Christmas around the corner, a Christmas market sprang up and lights festooned the bridges and canals, giving Annecy a suitably festive feel. I was hoping it would snow, but the weather was not obliging and December was mostly oddly warm for the time of year.  
As many of my friends were leaving over the Christmas break, I had a leaving get together/Christmas party at my house, and made a ridiculous amount of food. I also made my first Bûche de Noël which didn't turn out too disastrous! Although it tasted a bit eggy, once the ganache was applied it actually tasted fine! My favourite part is making the little meringue mushrooms. 
I was lucky enough to make a brilliant group of friends in Annecy, from all different places in the world, and it was this group of friends that really made my stay in Annecy unforgettable. 
The end of the year also brought with it the end of classes for two weeks for the Christmas break, and the school had an epic Christmas party. Not only did all the teachers sing us traditional french carols (with one of them playing the piano accordion no less!) but we had all the students together in one room, and tonnes of traditional french Christmas food cooked by the teachers themselves! One of my Polish friends had just come back from visiting her family and brought with her plum floured vodka - it was actually very nice and the only time I've enjoyed such a strong spirit! 
Before I knew it Yannick and Necia were back again to spend the Christmas holidays with me. Our first Christmas together out of New Zealand, we certainly made it a good one, with grand food plans, and an impressive alcohol stash for the next few weeks - mmmm cider and champagne for Christmas!
I also took my family to the Christmas market, and I finally got to try roasted chestnuts! Children's stories like Brambly Hedge had me dreaming of cosy roaring fires and roasting chestnuts since I was little, but I was in for a disappointment. They had a strange soft texture and reminded me of decomposing mushrooms - I was not impressed.
However there were other highlights to the market that I did enjoy, such as mulled wine!! A specialty of the region, it was perfect once the sun had begun to set and the day turned chilly. 
With so many different stalls offering mulled wine, I felt obliged to try most of them (what a shame) that way I could make a truly informed decision on the best one - and here it is! Only a few euro (you also pay a euro deposit on the glass as well and then get it back when you don't run off with these snazzy Christmas cups) I noticed that as a general rule going for the stall that sold only wines (mulled and otherwise) was markedly improved from the stalls that sold many other different foods and drinks as well. A good tip to keep in mind for next time!
And then suddenly it was Christmas day! Forgoing trees or presents this year, we made up for it with copious amounts of good Christmas food (and some fairy lights in my room for mood lighting - I couldn't resist) feeling like we were truly continuing on the traditions we made our Dad's roast chicken recipe with roasted vegetables (which turned out excellent) and my version of pavlova, topped with berry couli (and did I mention the champagne?) - It was a perfect mix of the old and new, and it felt like we were beginning our own traditions. 
A small family Christmas in Europe, although I always miss being home when Christmas comes around, I can easily say that this one was the best yet in my Europe travels!
A strange family resemblance emerges when we are put near good food or wine....

No comments:

Post a Comment